It was another rainy weekend but in pockets of time we were able to make a little progress in the yard and in the garden.
I finally got the flower boxes planted and after a couple of years of trial and error, I think I have the perfect mix of flowers that will fill in nicely and survive in the shade. The New Guinea Impatiens do really well and so does the Fuschia. I also put in some Sweet Potato vines and another filler that is supposed to well in the shade but I forget the name.
The garden is coming along. The peas are shooting up like crazy and the perennial herbs – the chives and tarragon – look beautiful. We also have beets, radishes, kale and arugula that are coming along. I direct sowed carrots and parsnips but they are just barely coming up.
Sean built a mobile cold frame for us to put on the garden boxes and it has been awesome. We have moved almost all the remaining trays out there – making the hardening off process so much easier. Our plan is to cover it with plexi-glass instead of the plastic but we will do that next year.
We should be able to get everything else in the ground in the next week or so. We will plant our tomatoes – Roma, Brandywine and Cherry, pickling cukes, three varieties of pumpkins, potatoes, butterbush squash, pepperoncinis, beans, zucchini, corn and five different types of flowers for cutting.
We have had an eventful couple of weeks with the bees. We found a new mentor who has been helping us out. We lost our Queen over the winter and we purchased one from him. He swears by this particular Queen breeder and I can now see why. She is laying like crazy. That is a picture we took on Friday of some capped brood. There were several other frames like that and tons of larvae. Less than a month ago, we thought we might lose the hive and it is so strong right now. To be safe, we also treated for mites and we put our honey supers on yesterday. This guy told us that we should move to all wax frames because the bees build them out faster so we bought and assembled wax frames and put them in yesterday. Fingers crossed we have a good year!
There’s also plenty of stuff that is making progress without us doing a thing. That’s a baby apple! The apple trees look so good and they are covered with apples. The rhubarb is huge and we now have five different rhubarb plants in the yard. Hopefully, I will find the time to make pickled rhubarb, some rhubarb jam that we can use in thumbprint cookies during the holidays and of course, a strawberry rhubarb pie. It’s Teagan’s favorite so it’s a must every year. I harvested just enough yesterday that I should be able to cut just a bit more in a week or two.
While they won’t be ready for a strawberry rhubarb pie, our strawberries look awesome with tons of flowers. After a pretty lackluster year, last year, we’re hoping for at least a pint or two. 🙂
Finally, I am knitting this cowl. The pattern is the Stitch Block Cowl from Purl Soho. It’s been really fun to knit and definitely out of my comfort zone. No wine-knitting with this one because there is a lot to keep track of!